Add to your flight experience
Available on all Virgin Australia domestic and international flights, Economy X is an upgrade to your standard Economy seat that gives you added benefits. Enjoy up to 40% more legroom, preferred overhead lockers, and priority screening and boarding. Plus, there are even more benefits when you fly internationally.1
Platinum members and additional companions travelling on the same booking may reserve an Economy X seat for free on domestic and short-haul international flights operated by Virgin Australia if available at the time of the request. Economy X terms and conditions.
How to redeem Points for Economy X
Manage your booking on a selected flight
Select an Economy X seat from the seat map
On the payment page log in to your Velocity account and select Velocity Points as your method of payment.
You can redeem your Velocity Points to pre-purchase baggage on Virgin Australia operated flights.
Redeem your Points for additional checked baggage at the time of booking or post booking (up to three hours before departure). Save Velocity points by redeeming points on baggage before arrival at the airport.2
Please note, additional baggage cannot be
pre-purchased for flights operated by our airline partners
Every year, Virgin Australia and Velocity Frequent Flyer offset over 50,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions, through its carbon offset scheme, Fly Carbon Neutral.
Through a partnership with the Tasmanian Land Convervancy (TLC), Virgin Australia guest who choose to offset their flights are actively supporting its New Leaf Project, which involves the preservation of Tasmania's native forest, species and ecosystems.
Redeem your Points to carbon offset your next flight and help us minimise the impact of carbon emissions on our environment.3
How to carbon offset with your velocity points
Log in and select
“Manage Bookings” in your account
Add Carbon offsetting
to your flight
Select Velocity Points as your method of payment
1. Economy X
Economy X seats are limited and may be sold out at time of booking or at any time prior to your travel date. The applicable Economy X fee will be the fee published at the time you purchase Economy X and is subject to change. Fees are per person, one way and per sector. Fees are in the applicable booking currency, being the country of origin specified in your booking or purchase. Economy X fees are non-refundable, except in limited circumstances. See the Economy X Terms and Conditions for more information on refunds. Not all product benefits are available at all airports. Where some of the product features are not available or utilised by you, you are not entitled to a refund unless otherwise specified in the Economy X terms and conditions. Some Economy X seats are located in Exit Rows and guests must accept the Exit Row Safety Conditions to sit in these rows. If you change your mind and no longer wish to sit in these rows, you may move to an alternate Economy X seat for no additional fee. If however no other Economy X seats are available, you will be assigned a standard Economy seat and entitled to a refund of the Economy X fee. Please let us know as soon as possible if you do not longer meet the Exit Row Safety Conditions. If at the time of travel you no longer meet the Exit Row Safety Conditions you will be offered an alternate Economy X seat or you will be assigned a standard Economy seat and entitled to a refund of the Economy X fee. Economy X is only available on flights operated by Virgin Australia and Virgin Australia International. See here for full Economy X Terms and Conditions.
Maximum pre-purchased baggage allowance is up to two additional 23kg bags per guest in addition to any included baggage allowance. Additional baggage is available for pre-purchase online up until 3 hours before departure. Only Guests holding a Virgin Australia (795) ticket number are permitted to pre-purchase baggage. All payments made by debit/credit card are subject to a payment surcharge. Additional baggage fees will only be refunded if we cancel the flight or you are entitled to a refund of your fare or your baggage fees under the Australian Consumer Law. If you cancel your flight, you may be entitled to a refund in accordance with the Fare Rules or under the Australian Consumer Law. Baggage fees are subject to change at any time without notice. .The carriage of additional baggage is at the sole discretion of Virgin Australia and is subject to aircraft loads. Guests on partner tickets and/or connecting to a flight operated by another airline are not permitted to pre-purchase baggage. Additional baggage must be purchased at the airport on the day of departure. For more information please visit the baggage page.
3. Carbon Offsets
1. The Fly Carbon Neutral program is voluntary.
2. Payment for carbon offsets purchased will include a Goods and Services Tax (GST) component which will not be allocated towards carbon offset projects.
3. You can pay for your carbon offset with Velocity Frequent Flyer Points. The number of points required will vary. There is no GST component if you pay with Velocity Frequent Flyer points.
4. The points or payment used to purchase carbon offsets and the applicable GST will not be refunded in any circumstances including in the event your flight is cancelled by Virgin Australia or you do not travel on your scheduled flight.
5. Your carbon offsets purchase will be included in your purchase invoice, received via e-mail from Virgin Australia. We will not provide duplicate tax invoices. If you use points to purchase carbon offsets, this transaction will be included in your monthly Velocity Frequent Flyer statement.
6. The Virgin Australia Fly Carbon Neutral program has been certified under the Australian Government's National Carbon Offset Standard (NCOS).
7. The methodology used to calculate your emissions provides an estimate only and should not be relied upon as an accurate record of the actual emissions. We accept no liability if the calculation of carbon emissions relating to your seat on your flight is incorrect or inaccurately reflects actual carbon emissions attributable to your seat on your flight.
8. Infants are not included in the calculation of flight emissions for online bookings. An infant is a passenger aged up to 23 months inclusive.
9. Your contribution will be used to acquire eligible carbon offsets generated from projects that are accredited and are NCOS compliant. We may at our absolute discretion acquire carbon offsets from certified carbon offset projects of our choice. You are not able to direct us to allocate the funds to any particular carbon offset projects or suppliers.
10. While Virgin Australia has taken reasonable care to ensure that the information provided by us on the Virgin Australia websites relating to carbon offsetting is correct, all information may be subject to change at any time without notice. Virgin Australia is not liable to you or anyone else if errors occur in the information on this website or if that information is not up-to-date.
11. Virgin Australia reserves the right to suspend or terminate this carbon offsetting arrangement in its absolute discretion at any time, without giving notice to you. This arrangement will be subject to any applicable legislative or other regulatory controls imposed by State and Federal Governments, whether existing now or at any time in the future.
These Terms and Conditions are effective as at the date of publication (May 2017) and may be amended by Virgin Australia from time to time without giving notice to you.
4. Points Booster
Purchasing Points with Velocity Points Booster is facilitated by Points Inc.
Purchasing Points is subject to the membership Terms and Conditions. Prices are in Australian Dollars and are inclusive of GST. The applicable price will be the price published at the time of purchase and is subject to change without notice. Purchased Points are non-refundable. Points Booster transactions are processed outside of Australia. You are responsible for any additional fees charged by your financial institution in connection with your Points Booster transaction. The purchase of Points does not guarantee the availability of your desired reward. If you have any enquiries in relation to Points Booster, please contact the Membership Contact Centre.