4. DATA WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU: MEMBERS
Here we explain the types of Member Data we collect about you when you join our program and throughout your membership.
We collect Member Data that helps us build a picture of who you are, so we can deliver a personalised Velocity experience and show you offers and benefits that we think you will find interesting and relevant.
Here’s when we’ll collect your Member Data and the type of information we’ll collect at each point:
4.1 When you become a Velocity member, update your membership details, or enter a competition
We typically ask for details such as your name, address, email address, phone number and date of birth.
When joining the program, we’ll also ask you to set a password, create some security questions, and set a PIN (personal identification number). These details help us to create your Velocity membership account and keep it safe and up-to-date.
You can also choose to tell us other things when you join, including:
- your travel preferences
- whether you are a member of another airline loyalty program
- your sporting and lifestyle interests
- your household status (such as whether you live alone, with others, with a partner, or with family)
- your employment details, if you earn Points when you fly for work
4.2 When you contact us online, on social media or through our Membership Contact Centre
Depending on how and why you get in touch, we might collect:
- information you give us when you make a request, such as a change of name request, Points Transfer or Family Pooling request, or a request for Membership Pause for Parental Leave
- feedback, photos and videos you share
- recordings of calls to our Membership Contact Centre
4.3 When you earn or redeem with us, the VA Group or our Partners
We’ll collect data (including payment information) when you buy products or services from us. That includes when you choose to reward yourself with some shopping in the Velocity Rewards Store.
We’ll also collect data about your transactions with the VA Group and our Partners if you use your Velocity membership number to:
- book a flight
- link your membership with one of our Partners
- transfer Points from a Partner
- earn or redeem Points or Status Credits with a Partner
- enter a competition
4.4 When you interact online with us, the VA Group our Partners, or our providers
We collect online behavioural data using online tracking tools on our websites, mobile apps, marketing communications and our online advertising. These tools include cookies, tags and tracking pixels. Online behavioural data allows us to learn what you like and don’t like.
Some of our Partners and service providers also use these tools on their own websites and apps and may share insights with us to help us understand what marketing offers and content you might find relevant.
The information we collect through tracking tools includes:
- the operating system of the device you are using
- your web browser type
- your internet service provider (ISP)
- the date, time and duration of your visit to our website
- which pages you visited and clicked on our websites and how long you spent on each page
- the internet protocol (IP) address of the device you are using, which we use to identify the city you are accessing the internet from
- the website you arrived from and the website you went to next
- your interactions with Velocity’s advertising on third party websites, such as news.com.au or eBay, if that website gives us permission to do so
- your interactions with our marketing communications, such as when you open one of our emails
- any purchases you make related to us or our Partners, such as if you redeem Points on our Rewards Store or book a flight on the Virgin Australia website
- how you use our mobile apps, including the pages you visit and click on, the features you use and any of our websites you visit while using the mobile app
- how you interact with push notifications we send to your phone, if you allow us to send you push notifications
4.5 When we collect data that’s publicly available to enrich your Member Data
We also collect geodemographic data, which we license through a third party called RDA Research.
It may sound technical, but geodemographics simply takes data from government sources and develops insights about the traits of people who live in particular neighbourhoods. These are then divided into smaller groups based on similarities in income, education and household type. This helps us better understand how attitudes, lifestyles and product tastes vary between people. This data is then applied to you, based on where you live and how old you are.
For example, if you live in an area where there are many large family homes, and you are of family age, we may present you with offers for family trips in the school holidays. Or, if you live in an area where there are lots of apartments, we might present you with offers for singles, couples and groups of friends (of a similar age to you) to go on city breaks over long weekends.
4.6 When you provide health and other sensitive information
Sometimes, the data we collect from you might indicate a health or medical condition, your religious beliefs or your sexual orientation. We will only collect this type of data with your consent and won’t use it for marketing purposes. We’ll only use it to process your specific request. This might happen, for example, if you make a request for:
- Special Assistance for a travel booking with our airline Partners
- a meal for a travel booking (if this indicates a medical condition or religious belief)
- a Membership Pause for Parental Leave
- a change of name (for example, following marriage)
To help us process some of these requests, we may ask for supporting documents. For example, we may ask for a marriage certificate for a change of name request following marriage.