1. Types of information we collect
The personal information that we collect includes:
- your name, address, email address, phone number and date of birth;
- your travel history, travel preferences, airline tier status, other loyalty program memberships, employment details and sporting and lifestyle interests;
- whether you are a customer or member of one of our Program Partners and information about you that you have provided to that partner;
- information about your travel and other transactions resulting in Velocity Frequent Flyer Points, Rewards or Status Credits being claimed, earned, transferred or redeemed;
- payment information in connection with products or services that you purchase;
- information when you use our website or mobile applications including IP address, MAC address, device identifier, location data, your browser and operating system, the date and time of your visit, referring website, and your activity (such as pages viewed);
- any information that you allow social media sites to share with us if you interact with us;
- information you provide when participating in market or product research;
- any feedback or other material, such as photos and videos, that you choose to share with us about your experiences with us, our related entities, Airline Partners and Program Partners; and
- information relating to your dealings with us, including developing insights about you so that we can better understand your preferences and interests.
2. Collecting health and other sensitive information
We collect your health or other sensitive information if you provide it to us. For example, this may include:
- information in relation to your health if you contact our Membership Contact Centre to make a redemption flight booking (such as where you make a ‘Specific Assistance’ request or a meal request indicative of a medical condition);
- information about your religious beliefs where you make a meal request indicative of a particular religion (eg. halal or kosher); and
- health information in relation to a request for a Membership Pause for Parental Leave.
We will not use your health or other sensitive information for marketing purposes.
Where possible, we will allow you to interact with us anonymously or using a pseudonym. For example, if you contact us with a general enquiry, you may choose not to provide your name unless we need it to handle your enquiry. However, we usually need your name and contact information for most of our functions and activities.
4. How we collect personal information
We collect your personal information in a number of ways. We collect your personal information directly from you or in the course of our dealings with you, for example when you:
- join Velocity Frequent Flyer or update your membership details, subscribe to our email or other communications, enter a competition, provide feedback to us or otherwise interact with us;
- visit or transact through our website, Velocity Rewards Store or eStore, social media channels or mobile applications;
- apply for a position with us;
- complete a form for us; or
- contact us by phone or through our website. We record all calls in and out of our Contact Centre so we will collect any personal information you provide during a call.
We also collect personal information about you from other people or organisations. This includes our related entities and:
- our Airline Partners and Program Partners;
- third parties where you apply for and use one of our Program Partner’s credit or other loyalty program cards;
- your family member if they provide your personal information to us as part of a Family Pooling arrangement;
- Rev Australia Pty Ltd, the distributor of the Global Wallet product;
- recruitment agencies and previous employers, if you have applied for a position with us and with your consent;
- our service providers and contractors that perform services for us such as data analytics, market or product research, marketing support (including providing us with marketing leads), customer support (including call centre functions), running competitions and promotions, payment fulfilment and fraud protection.
We may combine and/or compare personal information that we hold about you with other information collected from, or held by, others (including our Airline Partners, Program Partners, related entities or third parties). We do this to better understand your interests and preferences, which helps us to enhance your membership experience. More information about why we do this is provided under ‘Why we collect personal information’.
5. Why we collect personal information
We collect your personal information so that we can provide you with our services and any products that you may have requested, to contact you and to carry out our functions and activities.
The purposes for which we collect your personal information includes:
- assessing and processing your application to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program and managing your membership;
- verifying your identity;
- communicating with you about your membership and membership transactions;
- identifying and arranging benefits for you connected with your membership, including frequent flyer program points earning/redemption, Program Partner recognition and benefits;
- managing your flight bookings with our related entities and Airline Partners;
- contacting you with marketing and promotional material about our offers or promotions, and those of our related entities, Airline Partners, Program Partners and third parties; and to identify products and services provided by them, and membership benefits and rewards that may be of interest to you;
- processing your card application and Velocity membership join, where you apply for and use one of our Program Partner’s credit or other loyalty program cards, and awarding Points, Rewards or other benefits in connection with that card;
- training our staff and testing our systems;
- developing insights about you so that we can better understand your preferences and interests. We do this to identify products, services, membership benefits and rewards offered by us, our related entities, Airline Partners and our Program Partners and third parties that may be of interest to you. We also do this to personalise your experience and enhance those products and services offered by us, our related entities, and our Airline and Program Partners. We may also use trusted service providers to undertake the process of developing these insights;
- where reasonably required for the operation of each Virgin Australia Group business;
- complying with our legal, audit, assurance, reporting and investigation obligations, and for operational or regulatory compliance purposes;
- contacting you in relation to market or product research;
- responding to feedback, queries and complaints; and
- helping us to continuously improve the services and products we offer.
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purposes described in ‘Why we collect your personal information’. If we need to handle your information for any other purpose, we will only do so with your consent or where you may otherwise reasonably expect us to do so.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- to Virgin Australia Airlines and our other related companies, travel and booking agents;
- to our Airline Partners and Program Partners;
- to your family members who are part of a Family Pooling arrangement;
- to Rev Australia Pty Ltd, the distributor of our “Global Wallet” product, if you are eligible to receive or request to receive a Global Wallet enabled Velocity membership card;
- to our third party product and service providers, including those providing technology and related support services, call centre services, promotions and prize fulfilments services, marketing and advertising services, data analysis and business intelligence services, payment fulfilment and fraud protection services and security services;
- to third parties providing digital or other technology services (including digital assistants that utilise voice, virtual and other technology), where you have authorised the third party to receive the information we hold about you;
- in connection with the investigation of fraud or suspicious activity relating to services provided by us, our related entities, Program Partners and Airline Partners; and
- to our professional advisers and insurers.
We may need to share your personal information with organisations or persons located outside of Australia. The countries in which these organisations or persons are located will depend on the circumstances, but in the course of our ordinary operations, we generally disclose personal information to:
- our third party service providers located in Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Paraguay, Singapore, The Philippines, Turkey, United Kingdom and United States of America; and
- and our Airline Partners and Program Partners located worldwide. We will only disclose your personal information to an overseas Airline Partner or Program Partner where necessary to process a transaction for you.
We will generally collect the personal information that you include in your application, such as your contact details, career history and education details when you apply for a job with us. We may also collect sensitive information from you if it is relevant for the role you are applying for, for example, medical information or criminal history it is relevant to the role you are applying for. We may also collect information about whether you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander for our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
We may also obtain personal information about you from your previous employers or nominated referees. We will only do this with your consent. We collect personal information for the purpose of assessing and progressing your application. We will hold your personal information for future job opportunities with us, unless you tell us not to.
We may disclose your personal information to our related entities, your referees and also to third party suppliers that we use to help with our recruitment processes, such as recruitment agencies and organisations that conduct competency or psychometric tests. We may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies to verify whether you have a criminal record.
Cookies are tiny files sent to your browser and stored by your browser on your computer or other device that you're using to access our website. Our web-tracking and analytics tools collect and analyse information about how you interact with our website and mobile applications.
Our cookies and web-tracking/analytics tools collect information including IP address, MAC address, device identifier, location data, your browser type and operating system, the date and time of your visit, referring website, and your activity (such as pages viewed).
These tools allow our websites and mobile applications to interact more efficiently with the device you are using and to help us improve the content and functioning of our websites and mobile applications. They also generate detailed statistics about traffic to our websites, how you interact with advertisements on our (and third party) websites, and can measure and record conversions and sales.
We use personal information that we hold about you to identify services and products that may be of interest to you.
We may contact you by email, text message, post, phone, and other digital service (such as through our applications that you install on your device) to let you know about membership benefits and promotions offered by us, our related entities, Airline Partners and Program Partners. We also use internet-based marketing including targeted online advertising and online behavioural marketing.
We may disclose your personal information to our related entities, Airline Partners and Program Partners to allow them to tell you about a product or service that may be of interest to you, based on your membership details or transactions with us. Our marketing agencies may also contact you using your personal information that they already hold, or we may provide your personal information to them, in order to serve you with more relevant advertising about our services and products.
You can contact us at any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing materials from us. If you receive a marketing email from us, you can opt-out from that particular category of marketing email by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email. You can also manage your communication preferences by logging in to your Velocity Account and going to “My Preferences”.
If you advise us that you no longer wish to be contacted, we may add you to a suppression list to ensure you are no longer contacted through any channel. We need to retain this information to comply with your request not to be contacted.
We mostly hold personal information electronically in our IT systems and databases. We also hold personal information in telephone recordings and in hard copy paper files. We use third party service providers to store some personal information.
We take active steps to protect the information that we hold about you from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We do this by having physical, electronic, online and network security systems, monitoring systems and networks for security violations, limiting who can access your personal information and training our staff to keep your information safe and secure.
Please contact us if you become aware of any breach of security.
You have a right to request access to, or correction of, the personal information that we hold about you.
If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information that we hold about you, please contact us on the details below. We will need to verify your identity before we can process your request.
We will respond to your request within a reasonable period of time and provide access in the manner you have requested, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so.
Making a request is free. Depending on what information you request access to, we may need to charge you for giving you access to the information. The charges will not be excessive and we'll let you know if a charge will apply before we proceed with giving you access. There is no charge for correcting your personal information.
If we refuse to correct your personal information that we hold, you can ask us to associate with that information a statement that the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading.
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, you can contact us using the details below.
Once we have received your complaint, we will investigate and respond to you within a reasonable period of time.
We take any privacy complaint seriously and will deal with your complaint fairly and promptly. However, if you are not satisfied with our response or how we handled your complaint, you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (in writing) at:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001Phone: 1300 363 992
TTY: 1800 620 241
If your complaint relates to our airline services (rather than privacy), you can contact the Airline Customer Advocate, which provides a complaint handling and dispute resolution process for eligible airline customers.
We will post all updates to our privacy page.