We also provide a privacy collection notice when we collect personal information. See our current Privacy Statement for Membership Join
If you would like more information about our privacy practices, you can contact us using the details below.
Our commitment to Velocity members (and other persons who engage with us) is to handle personal information in an open and transparent way, and in accordance with privacy best practice in Australia.
Our primary purpose for collecting and handling personal information about our members is to operate the Velocity Frequent Flyer and Velocity Rewards programs, and to provide useful and valued benefits to members. In doing so, we collect and handle personal information about members to facilitate the membership join process; to enable the earning and redeeming of points; to promote services and products offered by Velocity and its related companies, Airline Partners and Program Partners; and to provide a customised experience for our members.
We recognise that Velocity members expect and are entitled to fair, useful and valued benefits from or through us, in exchange for the use of personal information about them.
We recognise the trust that Velocity members place in us as to how we handle information about our members in the course of operating the Velocity Frequent Flyer and Velocity Rewards programs.
We also seek to minimise the amount of personal information we collect about members to what is reasonably necessary for Velocity to provide useful and valued benefits to members, and for Virgin Australia and its related companies, Airline Partners and Program Partners to provide their products and services. The ways in which we use and disclose personal information about Velocity members, including sharing with others, is set out below.
We collect personal information about Velocity members during the membership join process, each time a member earns, claims or redeems points, rewards or credits, or otherwise interacts with us in connection with the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program, whether online, over the phone or through social media.
We collect the following types of personal information about Velocity members:
- name, address, email address, phone number and date of birth;
- travel history, travel preferences, airline tier status, other loyalty program memberships, employment details and sporting and lifestyle interests;
- whether members are a customer or member of one of our Program Partners and information about members that they have provided to that partner;
- information about members’ travel arrangements and other transactions resulting in Velocity Frequent Flyer Points, Rewards or Status Credits being claimed, earned, transferred or redeemed;
- payment information in connection with products or services that members purchase including redemption bookings, Velocity Points Booster, and purchases through the Velocity e-Store and the Velocity Rewards Store;
- information when members use our website or mobile applications including IP address, MAC address, device identifier, location data, browser and operating system, the date and time of the visit, referring website, and activity (such as pages viewed);
- any information that members allow social media sites to share with us;
- information members provide when participating in market or product research;
- information provided by members in connection with a request to Velocity, such as a change of name request, Points Transfer or Family Pooling request, or a request for Membership Pause for Parental Leave;
- any feedback or other material, such as photos and videos, that members choose to share with us about their experiences with us, our related companies, Airline Partners and Program Partners; and
- recordings of all calls to our Contact Centre.
We collect and handle some health information and other sensitive information about Velocity members, when a Velocity member chooses to provide it to us in connection with their membership. This may include information about a member’s medical or other health condition (for example, if the member makes a Special Assistance request or meal request in connection with a travel booking, or requests a Membership Pause for Parental Leave) or religious beliefs (only where a member makes a meal request in connection with a travel booking indicative of a particular religion).
Our preference is to collect personal information about a Velocity member directly from the member. But we also collect personal information about a Velocity member from our related companies, Program Partners, and Airline Partners, as well as other people or organisations in the following circumstances:
- travel or booking agents where managing flight bookings and other travel arrangements for a member;
- third parties, where the Velocity member applies for and uses a Program Partner’s credit or other loyalty program cards;
- a family member, (for example, as part of a Family Pooling arrangement or a Points Transfer – Family), or an authorised representative or legal agent, if they provide personal information about the Velocity member to us;
- Rev Australia Pty Ltd, in connection with the Global Wallet product;
- third parties, as reasonably required for fraud protection, to comply with legal requirements, and to investigate suspected fraud or illegal activity relating to us, our related companies, Program Partners and Airline Partners; and
- third party suppliers that provide us with products and services, such as data enrichment, data analytics and business intelligence, market or product research, marketing services (including providing us with marketing leads), customer support (including call centre functions), running competitions and promotions, and payment fulfilment services.
We use and disclose the personal information about Velocity members that we hold to operate and continually improve the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program, to manage memberships, and to communicate with and market to our Velocity members. See “Our Marketing, Advertising and Communications” section below for more information about how and why we handle personal information for marketing, advertising and communication purposes.
We use and disclose this personal information about Velocity members:
- to our related companies, Airline Partners and Program Partners, as reasonably necessary to enable Velocity members to earn and redeem points, rewards or credits for flights and other products and services offered by our Airline Partners and Program Partners, and to arrange Program Partner recognition;
- as reasonably necessary to identify and deliver benefits to Velocity members, such as discounts, promotions and exclusive products offered by Program Partners. These discounts and offers may be communicated by us or our Program Partners through email or online advertisements; and
- to manage the travel booking if a Velocity member redeems points for a flight or other travel arrangements. This will require sharing of that personal information with the relevant Airline Partner, Program Partner and relevant travel or booking agent.
In addition to personal information about Velocity members, we also collect and handle personal information about non-members such as job applicants (described in more detail below), travel and booking agents, a Velocity member’s authorised representatives, suppliers, and other persons with whom we conduct business. We handle this type of personal information for the purposes of our operating the Velocity business and managing our commercial relationships with the relevant supplier or other third party.
If you apply for a job with us, we will handle personal information about you for the purpose of assessing and progressing your application.
We will generally collect from you your contact details, career history, nominated referees and education details. We may also collect sensitive information from you, for example, medical information or criminal history if it is relevant to the role. We may also collect, if you elect to provide it to us, information about whether you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander for our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
We may also collect and handle personal information about you from your previous employers or nominated referees. We will only contact your nominated referees with your consent. We will retain personal information about you for consideration of your suitability for future job opportunities with us, unless you tell us not to.
We may disclose personal information about you to our related companies, your referees, and to third party suppliers that we use to help with our recruitment processes, such as recruitment agencies and organisations that conduct competency or psychometric tests. We may also disclose personal information about you to law enforcement agencies to verify whether you have a criminal record.
We use personal information we hold about Velocity members to deliver and personalise our marketing, advertising and communications to our members. For information on managing email subscriptions and what advertising you see from us, see Your Preferences for Marketing and Communications below.
We use personal information that we hold about Velocity members to:
- contact Velocity members by email, text message, post, phone, and other digital service (such as through our mobile applications that you install on your device) about membership benefits and promotions offered by us, our related companies, Airline Partners and Program Partners; and
- deliver personalised and targeted content, marketing and advertising via email, our website and our mobile applications, or via third party websites including social media platforms. This may include information about products, services and membership benefits and those of our related companies, Airline Partners and Program Partners.
We combine and link personal information and non-identifying information we hold about Velocity members with other information collected from, or held by, others (including our Airline Partners, Program Partners, related companies or third parties) to better understand our members’ interests, preferences and interactions. This helps us enhance and personalise the membership experience and how we market to our members.
We disclose personal information about Velocity members to our related companies, Airline Partners, Program Partners and trusted service providers to allow them to tell those members about products or services that may be of particular interest to them, based on membership details or transactions with us.
We use pixels (small graphic images that are also called web beacons, tags or clear GIFs) in our email marketing communications to Velocity members and other individuals who have subscribed to our marketing lists. We also use third parties’ pixels on our websites to help us provide digital advertising that is relevant to our Velocity members. This may include pixels from Google, Facebook, Adobe, and our Airline and Program Partners.
Cookies and similar technologies allow our websites and mobile applications to interact more efficiently with the device used and to help us improve the content and functioning of our websites and mobile applications. They also generate detailed statistics about traffic to our websites, how individuals interact with advertisements on our (and third party) websites, browsing and other activity, and can measure and record conversions and sales.
Velocity members can opt-out from promotional emails and text messages from us at any time by logging in to their Velocity Account and updating settings under “My Preferences”.
You can also opt-out from receiving promotional and marketing emails from us at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in the email or text message we send you.
You can change the amount of targeted online advertising you see from us by updating your cookie settings, changing your device or Velocity mobile application settings, or opting-out of the relevant digital platforms.
If you change your Velocity Account settings to opt-out of receiving all promotional emails and text messages from Velocity, you will no longer see our targeted online advertising. If you have enabled push notifications and no longer wish to receive these, you can change your push notification settings on your mobile device or within the Velocity mobile application.
If you are a Velocity member, even if you opt-out from all Velocity promotional emails and text messages, we will continue to communicate with you about changes to your membership terms, designated service messages (such as password reset or tier upgrade/downgrade), and other communications relating to your membership.
We mostly hold personal information about individuals electronically in our IT systems and databases. We also hold personal information in telephone recordings and in hard copy paper files. We use third party service providers to store some personal information, including in the cloud.
We take active steps to protect all personal information that we hold from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We do this by having physical, electronic, online and network security systems, monitoring systems and networks for security violations, limiting who can access personal information, and training our staff to keep personal information safe and secure.
The Velocity Frequent Flyer Program provides members with access to benefits across Australian and international Airline Partners and Program Partners. We disclose personal information about Velocity members to international Airline Partners or Program Partners where necessary to process transactions or provide services for members.
We use cloud-based services and other third party service providers for our operations that are located outside of Australia. In the course of our ordinary operations, these third party service providers are located in Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Paraguay, Poland, Singapore, The Philippines, Turkey, United Kingdom and United States of America.
To request access to, or to correct or update, personal information about you that we hold, contact us using the details below.
We will need to verify your identity before we can process your request.
We will respond to your request without unreasonable delay and provide access in the manner you have requested, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so.
Making a request for access to personal information that we hold about you is free. However, depending on what personal information you request access to, we may need to charge you for giving you access to the information. The charges will not be excessive. We'll let you know if a charge will apply before we proceed with giving you access. There is no charge for correcting your personal information.
If we refuse to correct personal information that we hold about you, you can ask us to associate with that information a statement that the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading.
If you have a complaint about how we have handled personal information about you, you can contact us using the details below.
Once we have received your complaint, we will investigate and respond to you within a reasonable period of time.
We take any privacy complaint seriously and will deal with your complaint fairly and promptly. However, if you are not satisfied with our response or how we handled your complaint, you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (in writing) at:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001 Phone: 1300 363 992
TTY: 1800 620 241
- Our current “Airline Partners” are listed on our website at https://experience.velocityfrequentflyer.com/partners-offers/all-partners.
- The “Australian Privacy Act” means the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), including the Australian Privacy Principles.
- “members” refers to individuals who have joined the Velocity program and been issued a Velocity membership number.
- Our current “Program Partners” are listed on our website at https://experience.velocityfrequentflyer.com/partners-offers/all-partners.
- Our “related companies” are Virgin Australia Airlines Pty Ltd, Virgin Australia International Airlines Pty Ltd, Virgin Australia Airlines (SE Asia) Pty Ltd, Virgin Australia Regional Airlines Pty Ltd and Virgin Australia Cargo Pty Ltd.